Friday, October 10, 2014

Disclosure

I had my surgery yesterday and everything went well. I am tired and sore but I really feel much better than I expected to. My whole goal for the first few days after surgery was to rest, catch up on my DVR, read the book I treated myself to and enjoy some down time. Funny how sometimes HE has other plans for us, because all I've been able to think about today is working on recovery. I don't have much stamina, but while I've been reading and vegging out in front of the TV, I've been restless and itchy to work on recovery. This morning I was reading an Instagram post from @thelightkeepers about how when she was in crisis after finding out that her husband wasn't truly in recovery her dad flew out and took care of her and loved her and cried with her. All I could think was that some days I wish my daddy would be able to do that so unconditionally. I don't think I will ever be able to disclose this to my parents, they love me very much, but they already feel the need to meddle in our marriage, they wouldn't understand this. It breaks my heart, but my already strained marriage doesn't need any additional judgement heaped on it. 

It is very interesting to me that this is coming up this week. B and I have talked a bit lately about who and when we will disclose this to, and who we never plan to disclose it to. I also talked with my counselor this week a little about disclosure. This is obviously something that is important to me right now. B has said that he trusts me in who and when I disclose things to, and I'm glad because I have needed the love and support of those close to me and have been able to get that by sharing this with them. I am so constantly amazed by the love and support shown to us. In most cases the judgement I thought would inevitably come, hasn't. I have had so many of my friends reach out and say, we love you we are here for you, your forthrightness and honesty is amazing. I don't feel amazing, I feel amazed. I am constantly amazed at the people that my Heavenly Father has chosen to place around me. I'm having a hard time writing through my tears right now as I think of all the amazing and wonderful people in my life. It has been so uplifting to me to feel the love and support of those around me.


As we continue to work through our recovery, both individually and together, I know we will give more disclosures and that we will share them with more people. I hope that by sharing our story, others will feel more free to share theirs. I also hope that I can be the support to others that I have felt myself surrounded by. There may be numerous posts from me for the next couple of weeks as I will be off work and spending a lot of time on my recovery. I am so thankful for the outlet I have in writing this blog and for the respect we have been shown in the cyber community. 


Recovering emotionally while I recover physically,


T.

3 comments:

  1. Disclosure as certainly been a process for us. I wish my wife would have talked with her mother sooner, she was alone for so long, and her mom really provided a lot of support in some really difficult times. I've spoken with most of my siblings and both my parents, as well as a brother in law and a couple friends from church. I feel like each time we have disclosed to a trusted family member or friend has been a positive experience. We have always been met with love and support. And it has made others more willing to share their 'stuff' with us, helping us feel like we are all dealing with things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you guys are finding support. It is amazing to me how little judgement we have run into, and how much support we have both received. Keep working and fighting for your family!

      Delete
    2. Hey Nate - I have a new email just for me and I would love to reach out to your wife or vice versa. I have found that the more support I have the better I am healing. My new email is awifeprogressing@gmail.com. Thanks for sharing your story, I've been reading some of your blog.

      Delete