Monday, January 12, 2015

Check-In

For a while now we have been doing a nightly (or near nightly) check-in to see where we are and what our days have been like. We have tried using the AEIOU check-in that Rhyll Crowshaw suggests in her book and adding the S for spirituality as suggested by Harriet at AWife Redeeemed.  (If you click on the link attached to "adding the S for spirituality, Harriet explains it well). It didn't work as well as we wanted it to, so we tried another acronym that we found somewhere (sorry I can't remember where it came from). That wasn't great either. We liked pieces of both of them but neither seemed to be exactly what we were looking for. Lately we have been just using a basic list in our head to check-in with but it still wasn't getting to the meat of things the way I wanted it to.

This is what I came up with tonight. It worked better than the others for us while incorporating pieces of each of them. Check-in tonight was heavy but I felt like we started to get some real communication going. It will probably need some changes but seems to work for now. 

REASSESR

Recovery-
What did I do for recovery today? Did I have any slips?

Emotions -
What emotions did I feel today? How did I handle them?

Affirmation -
What is something I appreciate about my spouse today?

Service/Others-
What service did I perform today? What did I do for others?

Self-Care-
What did I do to take care of myself today?

Exercise/Physically-
What exercise did I get today? How do I feel physically?

Spiritually-
Did I feel The Spirit today? What did I do to increase my spirituality today? What do I need to do to feel it if I haven’t?

Relationally/Sexually-
How am I feeling about our relationship? How am I feeling sexually?

What do you think? Do you have a check-in that you use that works well. Do you check-in? I'd love thoughts and feed back.

2 comments:

  1. We're trying to figure out checkins too. Our counselor suggested him doing AEIOU, but then also asked him to do physical, emotional, spiritual, and social and victories for the day, and I report just those last five . It feels like a bit much but I don't know what we can leave out that won't feel like a gap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like a lot, but it has really helped us to be a lot more open with each other.

      Delete